Posts for tag: Ankle Sprains
Any time a person engages in sports, they are running the risk of suffering an injury to the foot and ankle. Many of the injuries that cause foot ailments and pain are caused by high impact sports, such as
Heel Pain caused by Plantar Fasciitis
An ankle sprain is one of the most common injuries to the ankle, resulting from a fall or a sudden twist that forces the ligaments out of their normal position. It’s no wonder so many athletes suffer from ankle sprains every year.
The severity of an ankle sprain depends on whether the ligament is stretched, partially torn or completely torn. Look for the following symptoms if you think you have sprained your ankle:
- Immediate pain at the site of the tear
- Immediate swelling
- Hearing or feeling something tear, pop or snap during the twist
- Pain and difficulty moving the ankle
- Inability to walk or bear weight on the ankle
Treating your ankle sprain
Early treatment of a sprained ankle can improve the recovery time and minimize symptoms. The following steps will reduce swelling and help alleviate pain until you can get into our Reston, Manassas, Leesburg, VA offices.
- Rest: Stay off your ankle as much as possible. This will ease pain as well as reduce the swelling.
- Ice: It’s critical to ice your injured ankle throughout the day for the first 24 hours or until the swelling goes down.
- Compression: Elastic wraps, such as an ACE bandage, will help reduce swelling.
- Elevation: Rest with your ankle above the level of your heart to keep swelling to a minimum.
Preventing injuries to the ankle
With extra care, you can help avoid ankle injuries.
- Wear appropriate shoes for each activity
- Throw out old, worn out shoes
- Be cautious of wet, slippery floors at work or at home
- Wear ankle braces or have your ankle taped during sport activities for increased stability
If you’ve injured your ankle and are experiencing pain or difficulty walking, come into our Reston, Manassas, Leesburg, VA offices for an examination and proper diagnosis. If an ankle sprain is not treated promptly with the necessary attention and care, chronic problems of pain and instability may result. Reston, Manassas & Leesburg Foot and Ankle Centers can recommend a treatment plan based on the severity of the sprain to ensure proper healing and a fast recovery.