How your podiatrists in Reston, Manassas, and Leesburg, VA, can help you get relief from heel pain
If you suffer from heel pain, you already know how it can impact your life. Heel pain can keep you from enjoying the activities you love. Heel pain can make even the smallest actions like standing or walking painful.
Fortunately, your podiatrist knows just what to do to help you get relief from heel pain. The podiatrists at Reston, Manassas, and Leesburg Foot and Ankle Centers, in Reston, Manassas, and Leesburg, VA, provide a wide range of foot care services, including treatment of heel pain.
There are many factors that can lead to heel pain, including:
- Stepping or walking on hard or sharp objects, causing a heel bruise
- Accumulating excess calcium deposits on your heel, causing a heel spur
- Inflammation of the thick band of tissue on your heel, causing plantar fasciitis
If you have minor heel pain, you may get some relief with these simple home therapies:
- Icing your heel for 15 minutes, several times each day
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medications like Tylenol or ibuprofen
- Doing gentle arch stretches several times each day
- Resting and elevating your heels when you can
For moderate to severe heel pain, it’s best to visit your podiatrist. Common professional treatments for heel pain include:
- Custom-made orthotics or footwear
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medications and corticosteroids
- Stretching and physical therapy
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Treatment (ESWT)
Plantar fasciitis, the most common cause of heel pain, can be caused by several issues, including:
- Overpronating or rolling your feet when you walk
- Having flat feet or carrying excess weight
- Standing or walking on hard surfaces for long periods
Plantar fasciitis can cause severe, debilitating pain. Your podiatrist may recommend the treatments listed above, or in severe cases, you may need surgery to release a portion of heel tissue.
To learn more about the causes, symptoms, and treatment of heel pain, call the podiatrists at Reston, Manassas, and Leesburg Foot and Ankle Centers. Call for more information today at (703) 437-6333 for the office in Reston, VA, (703) 368-7166 for the office in Manassas, VA, and (703) 777-2101 for the office in Leesburg, VA.