Your podiatrists in Reston, Manassas, and Leesburg, VA, can help you get relief from heel pain
If you have heel pain, you may be waiting for it to go away on its own. What if it doesn’t? When should you become concerned about your heel pain? The truth is, why suffer when you don’t have to? A visit to your podiatrist can help you get rid of heel pain.
The podiatrists at Reston, Manassas, and Leesburg Foot and Ankle Centers offer a wide variety of podiatry services, including heel pain treatment. They have several convenient office locations in Reston, Manassas, and Leesburg, VA, to help you.
You should be concerned about heel pain and seek out the help of a podiatrist if:
- Your heel pain isn’t going away
- Your heel pain is getting worse
- You have difficulty walking due to heel pain
- Your daily activities are impacted due to heel pain
- You are unable to perform your duties at work due to heel pain
Many runners and joggers are often affected by heel pain, but you don’t have to be an athlete to experience the stabbing pain on your heel. You may develop heel pain from:
- Walking on hard or sharp objects, causing a heel bruise
- Developing excess calcium deposits on your heel, causing a heel spur
- Plantar fasciitis, which is inflammation of the band of tissue on your heel
For mild heel pain, you can try:
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medication
- Placing an ice pack on your heel for 15 minutes, several times each day
- Stretching your arches and Achille’s tendon several times each day
- Placing heel inserts or wedges inside your shoes
For moderate to severe heel pain, you need to seek out the expertise of your podiatrist, who may recommend:
- Custom-fit orthotics and footwear
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medications
- Physical therapy and stretching exercises
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Treatment
For severe heel pain that doesn’t respond to treatment, your podiatrist may recommend surgical therapy to release part of the plantar fascia and eliminate heel pain.
To learn more about the causes and treatment of heel pain, call the podiatrists at Reston, Manassas, and Leesburg Foot and Ankle Centers. You can reach them in Reston, VA, at (703) 437-6333, or in Manassas, VA, at (703) 368-7166, or in Leesburg, VA, at (703) 777-2101, so call now!