How your podiatrists in Reston, VA, can treat your bunion!
Bunions hurt, and they can also make it difficult to put on shoes. In fact, they are one of the most inconvenient, annoying foot problems that you can have. Fortunately, they are also very treatable. The podiatrists at Reston, Manassas & Leesburg Foot And Ankle Centers can help you get relief from bunion pain. We have several convenient office locations in Reston, Manassas, and Leesburg, VA, to help you and your feet feel better.
More about Bunions
A bunion looks like a large, bony bump right next to your big toe. You can get a bunion if you wear shoes that are too narrow and crowd your toes. The narrow footbed pushes your big toe outward at the joint, and the toe rubs against the inside of your shoe. The friction causes chronic irritation, resulting in a bunion. High heels only add to the problem by pushing your toes forward. As you may have guessed, women are much more likely to get a bunion.
For small bunions, there are some simple home remedies you can try to get relief from bunion pain. Consider:
- Placing ice on the bunion several times during the day
- Taping the bunion to add support
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication
- Changing to wider, more comfortable shoes with plenty of toe room
- Using padding or inserts in your shoes
For large bunions, your podiatrist can help by performing a thorough examination of your foot, including x-rays to determine the amount of bone involvement. At our Reston, Manassas, and Leesburg offices, we will develop a comprehensive treatment plan after your examination. Some common treatments that we may recommend include:
- Cortisone injections in the area of the bunion to reduce swelling
- Surgically straightening your foot and big toe
- Surgically fusing your toe joints together
- Surgically removing excess bone or tissue in your big toe
Need Relief? Give Us a Call!
You can get rid of annoying, painful bunions and find relief from bunion pain. It starts with a simple phone call to the podiatrists at Reston, Manassas & Leesburg Foot And Ankle Centers. We have several convenient office locations in Reston, Manassas, and Leesburg, Virginia to help you, so call today! For Reston, dial (703) 437-6333, for Manassas, dial (703) 368-7166, and for Leesburg, dial (703) 777-2101.